Too much noise

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Brian Smigielski Brian Smigielski 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Forgive my ignorance. If I should know the answer to this question, then I blame a foggy head due to a crying baby 🙂

I fired up my IC-7300 tonight to try and configure WinWarbler from the DXLab Suite. I was on 40m, and when I fired up DXCommander, all of the sudden my noise must have easily increased an S unit (at least).

I thought I was going nuts so I quit DXLab and then shortly after the noise went back down.

Any thoughts about where the noise is being generated from? It’s clear it’s only when the USB port is energized. Maybe this is obvious to others…

Thanks for any help,

Brian

Update: I tried switching out USB CI-V cables and the noise increase was MUCH less significant albeit still some.

So my next question is, do people recommend/use a particular USB cable to connect the ICOM-7300 to a computer that is known to introduce low noise into the system? Or is it more of a crap shoot?

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Hi Brian,

This is probably about conducted emissions from your PC getting into your IC-7300 via the USB cable. You might want to try a choke isolated USB cable like this one. You could also try adding chokes to one of the USB cables that you have.

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Thanks for the reply, Fred. After a bit of sleep, I realized this must have been the issue hence switching the cable to one with a choke. I’ll certainly add more chokes to beat the noise down sufficiently.

Having the link you sent it helpful too. Not terribly expensive and might be nice having another one in the arsenal.

Thanks again!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: