Fastening Buckmaster HF Dipole Antenna to MGS Push-up Mast Question

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums Elmering Forum Fastening Buckmaster HF Dipole Antenna to MGS Push-up Mast Question

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Fred Kemmerer Fred Kemmerer 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster
    Hello Fred,
    I am expecting to receive the MGS Push-up Mast tomorrow (Wednesday), and will pick-up the Buckmaster 4 band OCF HF Dipole Antenna from HRO, and am wondering, based on your experience, what is the best method for fastening the Buckmaster to the Mast?
    I am requesting this information from you because I know you have done this, and I don’t know anybody else who could function as my Elmer regarding this situation…
    Thanks,

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster
    Hi Murray,
    I used a large stainless steel hose clamp to fasten the Balun to the top section of the mast. Take a look at my blog for some more details here –
    Did you get the guy rings with your mast? You’ll need to guy it at probably 3 or 4 levels. I would only extend the top (smallest) section a few feed as that section tends to flex too much if extended more than that. Take a look at the Blog link above and study the text and pictures carefully. I think you’ll get a pretty good idea of how to install the mast and put the antenna and feed line on it.
    Also, pay close attention to what Buckmaster recommends for the height of the balun and for the ends. If you can install the antenna in that configuration, you will likely have have minimal tuneup problems. Also, if you can orient the broadside to about 55 degrees true bearing (not magnetic as the declination here is about 15 degrees) you will get the best results in terms of DX contacts to Europe.
    Good luck with the installation. Take your time and be safe!
    Best and 73,

- Fred (AB1OC)

ab1oc@arrl.net

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

One more thought. The locking collars on the MGS mast may not hold up well after that mast is up for awhile. They are meant for holding the mast in a temporary installation and the sun will tend to make them brittle. I reinforced them with stainless steel host clamps to take the strain off the locking collars. This allowed me to adjust them so that they would hold the mast while I was putting it up but they did not have to be as tight as would have been needed for the long haul. You can see pictures of how I installed the host clamps on my blog:

A First Antenna For HF Use

I have two of the very same MGS masts that you have here for Field day. I am planning to put them together on Saturday morning. If you want, you can come by then and I’ll show you how to assemble you mast and get it ready to put up.

- Fred (AB1OC)

ab1oc@arrl.net

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: