West coast on 40m

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Layne AE1N Layne AE1N 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Michael Struzik
    Michael Struzik
    Participant

Last night a station in Oregon could hear me but I could not hear that station. I am trying to figure out if the issue was my station setup / location (just 4.3 miles east of Mount Monadnock) or if it was atmospheric conditions.  Two other stations one in NM and the other in GA could hear all of us. It was 10:00 pm Eastern time 7:00 pm Pacific time.  If you are in New England and had some west coast QSOs did you do anything special?

Does anyone know of any real time web based software / site that gives you an idea of possible propagation results based on the band?

AB1YK

Matt Sapienza
    Matt Sapienza
    Participant

hello Micheal i don’t believe it was your station there are times where conditions or propagation is good or better to some parts of the US i west coast or stations in California hard to work sometimes and conditions do change sometimes and you’ll find those that you could hear and be heard by may change and you may not be able to hear them anymore as band conditions change and sometimes there short skip conditions and you can hear stations from Canada down to Florida and states in between you just never know how its going to be . there are 2 nets nata and omiss on 7.185 . nata starts around 7pm and omiss follows after nata . look online for netlogger . or go to omiss.org netlogger is a free download and you set up your profile and you see what nets are active and can check into any net. there are spotter sites online to check what bands are active for both state side and DX  stations i hope this helps? but do try nata/omiss nets some evening as they love new check in’s if you have any other questions? my e mail on qrz is good. 73’s from N1zgn matt

Matt Sapienza, N1ZGN

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

How much power were you running and do you have any idea how much the station in Oregon was using? It could also be due to a difference in noise levels in the two locations – given where you are, I’m guessing it could be pretty quite. If the Oregon station was near a city, the noise levels would be higher.

You should not have to do anything special to work that part of the US from here although you would want at least 100W if you are trying to do it with a wire antenna.

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Michael Struzik
    Michael Struzik
    Participant

Matt,

This is a bit of me just learning about propagation. Thanks for the info.

Fred,

I was transmitting 150W into a resonant dipole and the Oregon station had no issues hearing me…

The Oregon station was running 100w into an OCF dipole.  I would not have noticed anyone trying to make it through to my station if it was not for the other stations in GA and NM letting me know what was going on. I was only able to notice “changes” in the noise. It was like a very weak garble.

When I looked at google earth earlier today I confirmed that Mount Monadnock is placed directly between my QTH and the upper North west states.  I  never made any QSOs  to that part of the country.  It is my big RF “shadow” theory.

If I email you the Oregon station contact info would you be willing to arrange a NH QSO for them via your station?

Thanks guys. 73,

Mike S.

AB1YK

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

How close are you to the mountain? It would have to be pretty close to create and RF shadow. Your takeoff angle is probably 20-40 degrees which would take the mountain mostly out of the picture unless its close.

Why don’t you have the person in Oregon reach out via my email on QRZ? I’d be happy top help them with a NH QSO.

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Michael Struzik
    Michael Struzik
    Participant

Thanks Fred!

I calculated that the summit is only 3.8 degrees over the horizon. (I can’t see it through the trees)

I will be making changes on my antenna.

I will send your QRZ info along.

Thanks again & 73,

Mike S.

AB1YK

Layne AE1N
    Layne AE1N
    Participant

Try: http://www.bandconditions.com/

or: http://hamspots.net/40/

(You will have to register first)

Can your signal be heard on the West Coast? Pick a clear frequency and call CQ see if the receiver picks you up!

http://69.27.184.62:8901/

Layne AE1N

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: