VK0EK Heard Island – Last Call!

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums On The Air Forum VK0EK Heard Island – Last Call!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Anita Kemmerer Anita Kemmerer 2 years ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anita Kemmerer
    Anita Kemmerer
    Keymaster

The VK0EK Heard Island DXPedition is in their last day today.  They have been very difficult to work due to band conditions and their location near Antarctica over 10,000 miles from Southern NH.  It seems the propagation to Heard Island is the best  a few hours after the evening gray-line in Southern NH.   I started a new job a few weeks ago and it has been difficult to find the time that late when propagation was cooperating in order to work them.  They are only on the air through Monday morning our time and have already started taking down their 80, 40, and 160m antennas so I was wondering if I would get them in the log at all.

Despite the bad conditions, they are trying to make it as easy as they can for us, listening on one frequency, calling NA/SA stations only, spotting their transmit and listening frequencies, and using DXA to show contacts in real time.  DXA is useful not only to confirm you are in the log but to get an idea if they are working stations near us.

Finally last night everything came together at around 0300z.  After trying to listen to them for 2 hours on 40m phone without hearing anything, I saw them move to 30m RTTY.  I tuned to the frequency and found that they were very loud.  I worked them after a few tries and then saw they were on 20m calling NA/SA only, and got them in the log again.

This evening will be your last chance before they go off the air!

- Anita (AB1QB)
    Activities Chairperson, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1qb@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Attachments:
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: