Summits on the Air (SOTA) – Pack Monadnock

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums On The Air Forum Summits on the Air (SOTA) – Pack Monadnock

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Jamey Finchum Jamey Finchum 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jamey Finchum
    Jamey Finchum
    Participant

On Saturday, as I was heading home from a workshop in Portland, ME I heard a cq from KB1RJD on the VHF National Calling Frequency for Summits on the Air from Mount Washington. I tried to call back but they could not get the last letter of my call sign, so I could not log the QSO. After getting home I looked up more information on Summits on the Air and it sounded like a lot of fun – plus I had just purchased a new VHF/UHF 5 element Elk yagi.

Sunday morning, Abby (KC1FFX) and I headed up to Pack Monadnock (W1/HA-041) with the ELK yogi and a 5 watt HT on battery power. Let me tell you, we had a blast! I had my IC-7100 with me and a buddy pole, but we had some much fun on 2 meters that we never got to setting it up. It was a gorgeous day and we made contacts as far away as Plymouth, MA and Madison, NH! We’re already looking forward to our next SOTA activation.

I’d love to hear from others that have tried SOTA before.

Jamey KC1ENX

Abby KC1FFX

Jamey (AC1DC)

Attachments:
    Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Hi Jamey,

This is a great story – thank you for posting it. How do you like the Elk yagi antenna?

Would you consider posting this same article on our Blog so that folks outside the club could see it (and we can include it in our next newsletter)? If you want to do this and want some help, give me a call.

Thanks and 73,

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Jamey Finchum
    Jamey Finchum
    Participant

Hi Fred,

I’m very happy with the Elk antenna, although I don’t have anything to really compare it to, it seemed to have done a great job for our SOTA outing!

I’d be happy to post this on the blog as well. I may need a little help in how to do that, but I’ll see if I can figure it out and if not I’ll let you know.

Jamey

Jamey (AC1DC)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: