SOTA, POTA, VHF Contest Activation

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums On The Air Forum SOTA, POTA, VHF Contest Activation

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick Morrison 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jamey Finchum
    Jamey Finchum
    Participant

Just a quick reminder to everyone that we are doing our Summits on the Air, Parks on the Air and VHF contest activation this Saturday, June 10 – all at the same location!

Location: Miller State Park, Miller Park Road (Off of Rte 101), Temple, NH

We will meet at the summit of Mt. Pack Monadnock (not to be confused with Mt. Monadnock – the native americans named the mountains and it is said “pack” means little). There is an auto road up the summit so it is accessible to all. If you would like to hike up there is a parking lot at the base with a trail head right there. Fred and I will be on the summit by 11 am at the latest. There is a $4 fee per person and $2 fee for children. Picnic tables are in various areas at the peak, but it is a busy summit so you may want to bring a table and some shade to operate.

Time: 11:00 am – late afternoon

Fred and I will be on the peak by 11 am. You are welcome to start earlier or come later in the day. We hope to be on the air by 12:00 pm and will most likely operate into the late afternoon if band conditions are good.

Operating:

You are welcome to use your own call sign or the N1FD call sign. If using the club call sign you will have to send me a .adif file of your logs.

• Summits on the Air:
      • If you plan on working SOTA you will need to use battery/solar power and not be connected in any way to your vehicle.
      • All bands and modes may be used for SOTA
    • Parks on the Air:
      • There are no restrictions on battery power for POTA. You can use battery, generator, mobile (automobile) operations, etc as long as you are in the park.
      • All bands and modes may be used for POTA
    • ARRL VHF Contest
      • The VHF contest begins at 2:00 pm on Saturday.
      • Here is a link to the contest rules for the VHF contest:  http://www.arrl.org/june-vhf
      • All authorized frequencies above 50 Mhz (6 Meters)

Equipment:

Fred is bringing a 6m – 3 element yagi on a push up mast. I am bringing my HT with an ELK 2m/7o cm handheld yagi. I’ll also have my 7100 and Fred will have his mobile (neither will be legal for SOTA, but good for POTA). I am also bringing my mini buddipole system. Please let us know in the comments what equipment you are bringing so we can keep interference to a minimum.

Miscellaneous:

• Grills/Coolers
      • Al KC1FOZ, asked about a bringing a grill. Grills are allowed on the peak if you would like to bring one. I may also bring my portable grill as well as a cooler.
    • Tables/Shade
      • There are picnic tables at the summit, but it is a busy summit so you may want to bring a table to operate on and some sort of shade would be a good idea.
    • Fox Hunt
      • We will have a fox hunt on the summit as well. If you have kids that would like to have some fun we will get them on the air and let them do a little fox hunting!

I’m sure I’ve probably forgotten something so please ask questions if you have them. This should be a very fun activation with a little something for everyone. I hope to see many of you on the Summit on Saturday!

Jamey KC1ENX

Jamey (AC1DC)

Alfred Manchester
    Participant

Good morning Jamey,

Thank you very much for all your help for the upcoming event.

I will be bringing an Elk 2m / 70 cm,a 6 meter dipole homebrew,and a 20 meter/40 meter SOTA beam w/mast.

I will be using a Yaesu FT 857 and will have a Yaesu VX-8DR.

For power 2-12volt batteries,and auto power where allowed.

Portable popup canopy,small table,chair.

Thank you to all,and looking forward to seeing you everyone Saturday.

KC1FOZ

ALM

Al - KC1FOZ

Patrick Morrison
    Participant

Good luck to all tomorrow. I would be with you but have been abducted to New Jersey for a Birthday Party. BUT i have my HT and was just on the South Plainfield Repeater.

The club here will be NJ2SP on field day and will be listening for us.

Patrick KC1HDN

Patrick, KC1HDN

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: