Solicitation of topics for Tom Gallagher's visit

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums General Information Forum Solicitation of topics for Tom Gallagher's visit

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Layne AE1N Layne AE1N 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Dear NARC members,

As July is coming to a close I wanted to remind everyone of our special guest speaker for our September 6th meeting, Tom Gallagher (NY2RF) CEO of ARRL. This meeting will be at the Nashua Public Library Auditorium and will blend members from a few other local clubs. We are hoping to have a great turn out so please mark this down on your calendars!

To that end, I am soliciting requests regarding topics we would like to ask Tom to speak about. Given that we are fortunate enough to have him come speak to us, in return, we would like to provide him with a list of suggestions that he could prepare for as early as possible.

Please respond to this thread with suggestions and/or email your suggestions to me at [email protected].

Tom is known for wanting to recruit, and particularly retain, younger ham radio operators. To get the proverbial ball rolling, I suspect some topics for consideration would be:

1. Youth outreach and the impact of that on the evolution of our hobby.
    2. How his background has led him to his current position and what his vision for the ARRL is.

If you are interested, a podcast interview of Tom can be heard. Please refer to Episode 88.

I will continue to send reminders throughout the summer since we all get busy with relaxing, vacation, and enjoying the sunshine.

Best and 73,

Brian (AB1ZO)

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Here is a simpler link to Tom’s podcast.

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting this Brian. Here are some thoughts that I have –

1) How can we best make Amateur Radio interesting to your people and folks who are currently not HAMs?

2) How does Tom think the ARRL should evolve going forward?

3) What should we be doing to best promote and group the ranks and influence of the Amateur Radio Service?

4) There have been some recent discussions around revising elements of the Band Plan and perhaps the Amateur License structure. What do you think the goals of these efforts should be?

I hope that others in our club will add their thoughts so that we can provide Tom with some input as to what we’d like to hear about.

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Thanks for the inclusion of your thoughts, Fred. I would like to specifically add to your point 1.

Currently, many kids may know how to “use” technology, when in reality I’m betting the average number of them just use it for social media purposes, or entities like Spotify, Skype, or Google Docs; not super-dooper brain-powered stuff.

It’d be nice to hear Tom’s thoughts on strategies he and ARRL have to disentangle kids’ drive towards technology in the form of social media etc. and redirect it towards an almost legitimate understanding and use of technology (call it the maker movement for the sake of argument, which would include amateur radio). Furthermore, what does Tom see as arguments one makes to the parents of these kids, who are the ultimate arbiters of judging the usefulness of their child’s time.

For other club members, please add your thoughts to this thread. So I encourage you to:

1. Get a nice cup of iced (or hot) coffee and perhaps a tasty treat to go right along with it.
    2. Enjoy that tasty treat with your beverage, presumably in a cooled A/C room.
    3. While enjoying that treat, send me a quick note with your thoughts for Tom’s visit.
    4. Cue overwhelming sense of contentment from sneaking in that treat before dinner and helping out AB1ZO 🙂
    Dave Michaels
    Dave Michaels
    Participant

Thanks for leading on this Brian.  Likely, my contributed questions will overlap with input from others. I would enjoy Tom’s thoughts on these issues.

1. Many ham radio enthusiasts (young and old) are getting their general technical news and training material from multimedia platforms and are integrating these platforms and tools into their ham shack.

Do you envision the ARRL enhancing their use of multimedia resources and product offerings to reach out to members and the general community at large? If so, how will these actions balance with the great print media resources that ARRL has now?

2. The ARRL has an active program of scholarships and financial grants to foster and support technical education and the role of ham radio in community service.

Please share your thoughts on the direction and emphasis this area will have in your tenure. Also, how can local radio clubs use these resources to promote amateur radio and related technology in community schools, scouting organizations, Boys/Girls Clubs, etc. ?

Layne AE1N
    Layne AE1N
    Participant

membership is $49 per year. Any thought of a membership without the physical QST magazine, only the Digital QST edition for a lower annual cost?

Layne AE1N

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: