Radio Programed as a Fire Pager

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums Elmering Forum Radio Programed as a Fire Pager

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Matt Sapienza Matt Sapienza 1 year ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hey All

I was wondering if anyone know if you can program a radio to get the tones from a Fire Dispatch, I work for an Ambulance company and I was asked if like a Baofeng Uv-5R could be setup to rec. a towns own fire codes?

I am looking to see if they are the Motorola tone system or just PL. It would save the town from having to buy Pages if they all could use a radio for the tone and to call in to dispatch.

Was looking to see if this is even doable

Thanks

Brian

- Administrator
    Nashua Area Radio Society

webmaster@n1fd.org
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Matt Sapienza
    Matt Sapienza
    Participant

Brian your intention is good but all towns municipal departments have a budget and companies that install/program radios some or most are using some type of digital format and have a APRS system with there radios so they can locate there location all thou some are still analog with non amateur radio offset and pl tone ( i can explain better offline as to why not to use a handheld 2/70cm for non amateur radio used feel free to call me anytime @ 948-8950 or see me at a club meeting tonight should you attend i’ll be the only 1 wearing a operation Iraqi freedom veterans hat ) and should they have analog APRS system in place and you was???? able to use a non department issued radio?? it will not show up on there APRS system . should a baofeng or tyt 2/70 cm radio work with a departments analog system? my opinion is to let your town that has the funding to purchase there radio equipment. i applaud you for trying to save your town money . matt n1zgn

Matt Sapienza, N1ZGN

Matt Sapienza
    Matt Sapienza
    Participant

actually you may with the baofeng/tyt/wouxon monitor a fire department frequency (providing there still analog???) should you have the computer software/programing cable . i recommend rt systems. HRO does have it i would call to check 1st or go to there actual web page . best of luck Brian i hope this was some what helpful?

Matt Sapienza, N1ZGN

Hi Matt

Thanks for the reply, I have the software and cable already, The system is Analog it is Concord Fire Alarm. I have talked to some others interested in this and they dont really care about APRS system as the pager does not have a locator in them anyway. The research I did shows that there is a PL code and their might be some Motorola tones as well, I am guessing that these little radios cannot handle the Moto tones.

- Administrator
    Nashua Area Radio Society

webmaster@n1fd.org
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Matt Sapienza
    Matt Sapienza
    Participant

i agree they may?? not be supportive of moto tones but receiving tones/audio on radio may work . i have a little more input that may? or may not help you its a little more then i want to type so feel free to call me anytime after 5pm.

Matt Sapienza, N1ZGN

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: