Question about something that was said today and I think it was my transmission

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums Elmering Forum Question about something that was said today and I think it was my transmission

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ernest Swersky 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Anthony Rizzolo
    Participant

Today I was responding to someones CQ…I am not sure if he was talking about me but what came back was: “Someone is trying to transmit and I don’t understand your modulation”.

According to the meter on the Radio I was not overmodulating but I’m wondering if it could be my (1) Mike (2) Antenna (which has an SWR of 1.16 on this band) or (3) Filter settings on my 7300?  Could I have my mike gain set to high, I think its at 25 and compression was 5.

Thanks,

Tony

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Could have been any of these things… Maybe something simple – were you on the correct sideband and mode?

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Anthony Rizzolo
    Participant

Thanks Fred…Yes definitely correct sideband and mode (the  radio kind of figures that out and I don’t change it).

I did try using the old microphone (not the one with the Heil microphone).  I am running the Heil with the cable without the cap because I believe the version of the Heil headset that I have doesn’t need it.  It worked better without it anyway.  I didn’t get any response from the person on the other end but at the point I think he was in a pileup so either ignoring the bad transmission or just not hearing it.

Any hints as to how I could help to further isolate where the problem might be?

Thanks,

Anthony

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Would you like to do a contact with me one evening this week so we can figure out what is going on with your setup? Let me know a good time and a frequency on 40m or 80m that works for you and we’ll give it a try.

- Fred (AB1OC)

ab1oc@arrl.net

Anthony Rizzolo
    Participant

Hi Fred,

Thanks that would be great.  What day and time are good for you and I will make myself available?

Probably best to try 40m and once we get that working try out 80m.  I will find the cable for the Heil with the capacitor in it, but pretty sure it was working better without the capacitor.

As far as frequency, maybe we can start out at something like 7.140 and if that frequency isn’t available or you can’t hear me just use our cell phones to figure out what to do next.

Thanks for your help on this,

Tony

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

How about tonight (Monday) at 8 pm? Call my home phone and we’ll figure out a clear frequency that we can use on 40m.

- Fred (AB1OC)

ab1oc@arrl.net

Anthony Rizzolo
    Participant

ok, not sure i have your home phone number, just your cell I think…can you text me the home phone number and I will call at 8:00.

Thanks,

Tony

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

The cell will work too.

- Fred (AB1OC)

ab1oc@arrl.net

Ernest Swersky
    Participant

“I don’t understand your modulation” doesn’t make sense.

Quoting Wikipedia:

In electronics and telecommunications, <b>modulation</b> is the process of varying one or more properties of a periodic waveform, called the carrier signal, with a <b>modulating</b> signal that typically contains information to be transmitted.

If he’s trying to say that your signal is poorly modulated with regard to being understandable he’s making a ton of assumptions. How were your other responses to contacts? I suspect he had trouble receiving your signal and incorrectly blamed your modulation.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: