Quadrifilar Helicoidal Satellite Antenna

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums Homebrew Forum Quadrifilar Helicoidal Satellite Antenna

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Aron Insinga Aron Insinga 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

The Quadrifilar Helicoidal Satellite Antenna is another option satellites. I have heard that these antennas work very well for on both the transmit and receive side of satellite operations. Here’s a site with information on how to build one –

Quadrifilar Helicoidal Satellite Antennas

Looks like an interesting project…

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Aron Insinga
    Aron Insinga
    Participant

This page makes an interesting point about an alternative to a ubiquitous term (not necessarily related to satellites):

There is no such thing as gain in an antenna. This is one of the most difficult things to teach my students. This term was established many years ago, probably for commercial reasons…

The correct term is directivity – i.e., the capacity of antenna to direct the available power into one preferred direction. This looks as a gain in the correct direction, but the power was ‘stolen’ from elsewhere.

The normal illustration of this is squeezing a balloon to redirect some of the power from one direction to another direction.

- Aron, W1AKI

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: