Need help putting up a mast for my Antenna

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums Elmering Forum Need help putting up a mast for my Antenna

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Hamilton 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Anthony Rizzolo
    Participant

I am looking to get my Antenna out of the tree that I have it in mostly because the tree is ready to come down so its only a matter of time.

I was thinking of putting up an antenna (but not an array) similar to the one we had setup at field day using PVC and guying ropes to keep it in place.  I believe I have enough space to do this.

I have the PVC but I am looking for where to get the Guying rings and I guess I will need a base plate to mount it on.

Does anyone know where we got the Guying rings for the Antenna we setup at field day.

I saw some at DXEngineering (https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-gr-5p) but they want to charge me like $13.00 for shipping and handling which seems crazy on a $9.00 item.

Does anyone know where I might get a set of these rings and the base plate locally in the Massachusetts or New Hampshire are or perhaps another supplier?

Will this type mast with proper guying work for a home antenna setup or do I really need to buy a pre-built mast?

Thanks,

Anthony Rizzolo

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Hi Anthony,

The masts and rings that we used at field day came from Max-Gain Systems. You can find their website here. Don’t know how well their rings would work with standard PVC. Maybe some combination of flanges that you could glue to the PVC along with a hose clamp for support and then drill for guy connections would work? A good place to get this stuff would either be Home Depot or County Store in Milford, NH. As far as a base goes, your can make one using some pressure treated lumber. Here’s an article showing what we did for our mast at our home QTH.

Hope this helps,

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Dave Michaels
    Dave Michaels
    Participant

Hi Tony:

Perhaps you have already moved forward on this task.  I wonder if you have looked at the mast raiser/support DIY/kit from bend-gard.com ?  The website has some detailed pages on how to build the mast raiser and how to secure it in ground or bracketed to house.

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Hi Anthony,

Thinking about your project a little more, I think I’d recommend a good quality commercial mast solution such as one of those outlined above. Mast can be a bit unstable and are prone to weather damage and breakage. Its a fair amount of work to put one up so its worth it to get a good quality piece that will stay up.

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net

Mike Ryan
    Mike Ryan
    Participant

Tony,

The Bend-Gard owner has brought some of his products to demo to the Near-Fest ham radio flea-market over the last couple of years.  So you could contact him to see if he’ll be there again this year (depending on your schedule).

Near-Fest also usually has another vendor that brings along a large collection of military surplus masts, base, rings and accessories.  The masts are stackable 4ft sections of fiberglass (estimate 1.5 inches in diameter, or also they have available stackable aluminum sessions.  Unfortunately, I don’t have a link for these, but believe they come from upstate New York.

Hope this helps.

Mike

- Mike (K1WVO)
    Nashua Area Radio Club

k1wvo@arrl.net

Matt Sapienza
    Matt Sapienza
    Participant

hello tony I’m not sure where or what type of antenna you are looking to put up? seeing its current location is being cut down soon?. not sure of your qth? if you need a hand putting it up? i would be glad to help i have a 24 ft ladder should 1 be needed???. weekends are always better for me even some week days (weather permitting of course?)feel free to give me a call @ 603-948-8950 anytime week days I’m up late or at your convenience i live in Nashua . i look forward to talking with you springtime? should it ever get here? is a good time for antenna work i have alot to do also. 73’s matt n1zgn

Matt Sapienza, N1ZGN

Matt Sapienza
    Matt Sapienza
    Participant

fred had a good point home depot is a good place to purchase items (that’s where i go plus i get a 10% veterans discount) such as masting in 10 ft sections i have used a 1.1/4 inch that fits inside a 1.1/2 inch section should you need less? you just slide in lower into bottom section and a few self tapping screws to secure the 2 together . i have used either antenna u bolt clamps for guy wires. i actually do have 3 brand 1.1/4 inch new u bolts unopened with all the bolts/washers/lock washers. i just found them.should you need them?

Matt Sapienza, N1ZGN

Hamilton
    Participant

PVC is the hardest to get up due to its weight and its flexibility. It is also the least UV resistant.

PBS pipe is lighter and stronger. When you are in the store hold a long length of pipe by the end and see how much  it flexes.

For a bit more money there are fiberglass masts that are much more stable and easy to put up.

Hamilton (K1HMS)
    Amherst, NH

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: