MSK-144 software

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick Morrison 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Patrick Morrison
    Participant

Has anyone installed the MSK-144 software on a MacBook successfully? I’ve overcome a few details, but one of the install steps for increaseing the Shared memory is holding me up. It seems that this program is not native to the Mac world. Does anyone have any experience with this program?

Patrick, KC1HDN

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Hi Patrick,

Are you running a native Mac version or a windows version running under VMware or Parallels?

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Patrick Morrison
    Participant

Hi Fred,

Yes this is the native OSX version. I avoid running Parallels at all costs. I think Curtis’s idea of a cheap W10 machine would be safer. No change of bad stuff getting into my network. BUT the way MSK144 is written, OSX shared Memory is too small. Luckily they give you the commands to use in Terminal to reset the shared memory. I have never liked messing in the OS by way of Terminal. My original problem was terminal asking for a password even though i was logged in as Administrator. I tried typing the password in but nothing showed up on the screen. Finally i hit enter and VOULLLLAAAA terminal took it. Rebooted to reset the SM, but it did not take.

THEN the YL wanted to go out shopping so i have just finally gotten back. I think i forgot to terminate the terminal session before rebooting. That is next after coffee.

Thanks for the come back. Ill let everyone know the outcome.

P

Patrick, KC1HDN

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Yes, I agree. A dedicated win10 machine will be the way to go.

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Patrick Morrison
    Participant

MSK-144 update. It works, sort of. The WSJT software is up and running on the MacBook. AND the FT-817 and the MacBook are sort of talking to each other. This operation is going to take some serious tweaking before it is ready to bounce a signal off of Meteor Scatter. More later. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
    Patrick KC1HDN

Patrick, KC1HDN

Patrick Morrison
    Participant

Found the answer, and a most times it was a simple forgoten step. After starting terminal i entered my admin password. Then copy and paste the commands and execute.  Last, terminate terminal and reboot.

Next is convincing the FT-718 and the MacBook to play together nicely. Or maybe tryout the Boafung..

Patrick, KC1HDN

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: