Is there a problem with my 7300?

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums Elmering Forum Is there a problem with my 7300?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anthony Rizzolo 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anthony Rizzolo
    Participant

I asked this in the wrong forum so I will post it here instead.

I went to go on the air yesterday with my 7300 which has been doing really well.

When I got on 40m, the waterfall sees a lot of noise.

When I am recieving the s/po meter is always at 9 or in the red above.

I did some transmitting but I never got a response, when I transmit the S/po meter is at the top of the red marks

SWR seems ok though.

Did some setting in the radio get messed up?

I don’t see the noise on 20m but I have not tried to tramsit there.

I don’t think its the Antenna because when I put the Antenna Analyzer on the wires it gives the normal SWR I was getting for 1.0-1.5 on 20 and 40m.

I did add a footswitch and a headset with a microphone but that was working fine the last time I used.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to what I should look at to fix this?

Thanks,

Anthony Rizzolo

Anthony Rizzolo
    Participant

Another data point there was an electrical storm I think on Sunday.  The Antenna wire was disconnected from the radio but connected to the lightning arrestor outside, could that be the problem?

Hamilton
    Participant

What is the noise floor with the antenna disconnected? Are there any new devices especially wall wart power supplies or new tech lights? Have you tried a reset of the 7300?

Lightning: The rig is fairly safe with the antenna disconnected. If the power supply was connected there is a minor risk for mischief between the station ground and 115VAC ground depending on how they are connected. I wouldn’t expect the symptoms you are seeing. It is unlikely you have a damaged balun or lightning arrestor given the VSWR remained the same.

I have a spare 7300 if you want to borrow it to see if it is your rig or just new QRN.

Hamilton (K1HMS)
    Amherst, NH

Hamilton
    Participant

PS: check the bandwidth setting on 40m, a wide setting would increase the noise floor. Try 2,200 Hz for SSB or 500Hz for CW.

Hamilton (K1HMS)
    Amherst, NH

Anthony Rizzolo
    Participant

Thanks Hamilton…It might have been the BW cause I think I did change that on Saturday.  I have it set to 2.2 Hz and the QRN seems to be better and I’m not seeing the OVF indicator anymore.

The noise seems to be clear if I disconnect the antenna as in not much on the scope.

When I did transmit earlier I got someone to give me a radio check they said they could hear that I was there but they couldn’t understand me last night which I guess could be caused by too wide a bandwidth.

I did try to tune through the bands after bringing the BW to 2.20 and I didn’t seem to see anyone on 20m/40m at 4:08 but perhaps that is just the bands.

Let me see tonight or maybe later this morning if I get on if I can actually hear anyone.

Oh, I did transmit with the Antenna after the bandwidth was set to 2.20 and on and the S/Po meter was still a little in the red but perhaps I am too close to the microphone.  Unfortunately I never saw were the meter was before.

Thanks for the response and I will let you know what I find out.  I suppose if I can’t get it straight either I might take you up and borrow your spare 7300 and see if its the rig or not so thanks for the offer.  The other thing would be to take my rig to someone elss shack and see if the problem moves with it so which ever is easier we can do.

Thanks,

Tony

Anthony Rizzolo
    Participant

Hi Hamilton,

I did finally get through on one of the Nets this morning and they claimed that the signal was very weak even at 2.20 Hz of Bandwidth.  The one gentleman was able to hear me but until I put the bandwidth down to around 1.85 the net control who was in Altanta, MI couldn’t really hear me.

Not sure if that is the norm or not but at least I was heard.

Well have a nice day, I’m headed into the office and thanks for your help.

Tony

Hamilton
    Participant

What is the noise level on 40m with the antenna disconnected? Have you tried a reset? Are there any new devices in the house, especially wall wart power supplies or new style lights? The wall wart supplied with the Yaesu FT60 takes me from a S2 to S9 on 40m.

Lightning: With the antenna disconnected the rig should be fairly safe. The odds of a strike involving the rig’s station ground and the power ground through the 115 vac service impacting noise floor on a band are low. It is more likely to impact other functions to include the processor which would cause larger problems. I had a strike damage a balun, an antenna scan showed a   7:1 VSWR while your match remained unchanged. It is easy to bypass the Lightning arrestor but given the match it is unlikely to be a problem. Maybe a strike damaged the RFI filtering in some other household device, run the 7300 with a battery or UPC while flipping the main breaker to the rest of the house….

I have a spare 7300 I can loan you.

Hamilton (K1HMS)
    Amherst, NH

Anthony Rizzolo
    Participant

Hi Hamilton,

I did do the Partial Reset of the radio that you suggested and that seems to have cleared up the receive issue.  The spectrum and power scopes look clean for the most part now.  When I transmit the power output meter doesn’t look like it is going that high, sometimes just a 1, 3 at max, not sure if that is normal or if it should be in the 9’s.

Still not sure about transmit though.  I did try to make one contact but I think I was in the middle of a pile up which I don’t always do will at.  I will see if I can find a net or someone that will give me a radio check or perhaps a NET that I can join.  When I got on tonight most of them were already in progress so I didn’t want to cut in.

By the way if you do get to a NET late, is it acceptable to ask to join in.  Do I do this by just giving my call sign, I’m always loathe to do that since normally the net control asks for a specific call sign to respond.

Once again thanks for all the help,  hopefully when I do get in touch with someone they don’t tell me my power is weak still.

Tony

Hamilton
    Participant

Sound like progress. The 2.2 kHz bandwidth affects Rx only and not Tx.

The Tx power output is adjustable from 5 to 100 watts, check to see what it is set for. It may be set low. There are several meter displays you can select, one is calibrated in watts on transmit. While transmitting you can see peak power. If it is low the Tx power may set low, the microphone gain may be set low, or you may be talking to softly.

Hamilton (K1HMS)
    Amherst, NH

Anthony Rizzolo
    Participant

Hi Hamilton,

I did verify that the transmit power was at 100%, Comp 5% (but off I turned it on) and I kicked in the pre amp.

Still not sure if things are actually working.  For example when I came on 7:00 when I got home  there was activity on 20m/40m.  Now I’m on at 1:40AM and very little activity.  I also found 2 people chatting on 40m and they seemed to be chatting then for some reason I wasn’t receiving them anymore.   I did play with the squelch but the perhaps I don’t understand what its doing because if I turn it far to the left eventually I get no signal just like if I turn it all the way to the right.

Not sure if I’m around this weekend but wouldn’t mind taking the rig to someones house and seeing if I can get better results on a different antenna there or perhaps they can look at my settings and find what I did wrong.   Was going to try to do it at the Youth outreach setup today, but looks like that was postponed.  Unless of course this is normal for the bands at this hour but the monitor claims that the bands 20/40m are Fair right now.

Thanks for any responses.  I am around Friday during the day so if something would work then it would be great.

Thanks,

Tony

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: