IC-7300 Discussion

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Fred Kemmerer Fred Kemmerer 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Jeff Millar
    Participant

Several of the club members have IC-7300 radios now and I have not seen a public reflector startup, yet.  Maybe we can share some experience and tips?

Jeff Millar
    Participant

I’ll kick this off with a comment and question about using the IC-7300 with WSJT-X.

The IC-7300 doesn’t work smoothly with WSJT-X and maybe someone know how to make it better.

1. How to set the digital mode bandwidth to 3 KHz or more.
    2. How switch the Tx audio source from internal USB sound card to Microphone more quickly

The IC-7300 has a data mode, but it is not compatible with WSJT-X because it only support a maximum of 1200 Hz of bandwidth.  WSJT-X needs 2700 Hz for JT-65A and about 4 KHz to include the JT-9 modes. That means the radio has to use the regular SSB modes with the filter set to 3 KHz when running with WSJT-X.

The IC-7300 has a menu to select the source of TX audio for “data” mode or for “data off” mode.  But, since the data mode doesn’t work with WSJT-X, the user has to switch between taking TX audio from the internal USB sound card and the microphone.

Can anyone think of a way to improve this operation?

Bill NJ1H
    Participant

Jeff,

I just looked at the instruction manual for the IC-7300 and it seems to confirm your observations. To be clear, I do not own a IC-7300.

I also don’t see anyway to get to a wide bandwidth IQ data stream. If someone who actual owns one finds otherwise, I would like to know about it.

Bill
    NJ1H

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Just a note on WSJT-X. As long as one disables compression and any equalizer settings, using the radio in SSB mode should be fine for digital modes. It looks like the radio has about 1.2 KHz in digital mode. In my experience, this will often be enough for most WSJT-X operation on the HF bands. I will make it a point to play with digital with my IC-7300 when I get a chance to get it on the air.

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Jeff Millar
    Participant

The IC-7300 has an option to export the 12 KHz IF signal.  That IF signal can appear on the USB sound card audio or on the ACCessory audio.  But the manual does not define how that 12 KHz IF works.

The Gnu Octave program has the ability to plot graphs of data and to read data from the sound card, so maybe it can show what’s going on on the IF.

After some work with Octave…

• The USB sound card supports two channels and they appear to have identical contents…but need more work on that
    • The IF is centered on 12 KHz
    • USB signals are above 12 KHz
    • LSB signals are below 12 KHz
    • AM and FM span across the 12 KHz center freq
    • The IF filtering has already been applied

I was sort of hoping that the IF had a wider bandwidth but it does not.

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

I had a little time to play with my IC-7300 today. The radio can be set to have a receive bandwidth of up to 3.6 KHz in Digital mode via the CAT interface. I have it working with DXLab Commander and I am able to open the receive BW up to this level using that program. The Tx BW is limited to about 2.6 KHz max in Digital Mode. With the radio set to a 3.0 KHz TBW and in Digital Mode, the usable audio frequency range for Tx is from about 200 Hz to about 2.8 KHz. Outside these limits, the skirts in the Tx bandpass filter kick in and they reduce and somewhat distort the audio signal into the radio. This is identical to what I see on other Icom radios that I have here. I believe that WSJT-X has a mode that can take advantage of a radio with a wide Rx bandwidth than Tx. I hope that this helps everyone.

- Fred (AB1OC)

ab1oc@arrl.net

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Had some time to work some DX here with the IC-7300 the last couple of mornings. Been up early to work VK/ZL and other south pacific stations on 40m. I am using the same 40m Delta Loop that we had at Field Day last year and I am running the radio bare foot – 100W.

I must say that the receiver in the IC-7300 is one of the best that I have ever had the chance to use. It is very quiet and the noise reduction creates considerably less distortion that I have heard on other Icoms, Yasesu and Elecrafts here. I have put about 5 or 6 VK/ZL stations and a very weak station T32TV on Washington Island, Eastern Kiribati in the log on 40m during the last two morning operating sessions. Many of these stations were below S5 and it was easy to copy the weak ones. Considering the price point of the IC-7300, I would say that Icom has got a real winner on their hands.

There is a FW update (V1.12) for the radio. Icon indicates the following changes:

Improvements

1. Audio processing improvement in SSB mode transmission
    2. Minor graphic update

I will probably apply this update to my radio sometime today.

- Fred (AB1OC)

ab1oc@arrl.net

Aron Insinga
    Aron Insinga
    Participant

(begin meta discussion)

I tried to submit this through ICOM’s tech support web site, but got a strange error:

<b>Cannot save/update: Contact(ID=0): Internal Error Description: non-unique email values </b>

So I sent the following message to HRO and asked if they could submit it to ICOM tech support.

(end meta discussion)

My IC-7300 serial […] seemed to work okay on the 14MHz band, but I tuned down to the low end of the band to try the RTTY decoder.  I couldn’t get it to work.  I tried the DATA mode and listened a bit.  I don’t remember the exact sequence, but I went back up to the SSB part of the 14MHz band and when I select SSB mode, it toggles between USB-D and LSB-D and audio is not intelligible.  I went to the 7MHz band and was able to select SSB and it went to LSB.  I went to the 18MHz band and it switched to USB.  Going back to 14MHz and it was still stuck toggling between USB-D and LSB-D.  Power cycling didn’t help.  I just now went to other bands and back to 14MHz and it went to USB.  Selecting SSB mode now toggles between USB and LSB-D.  I have also seen the radio continue to display the DECODE screen after switching from RTTY back to SSB.

[… contact info …]

- Aron, W1AKI

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Hi Aron,

Once the radio is in DATA mode on a given band, it will remember that setting. Just touch the mode indicator and select DATA from the screen again to turn off data mode. The radio will go back to SSB after you do this. Touching SSB again will switch between USB and LSB. Hope that this helps you.

- Fred (AB1OC)

ab1oc@arrl.net

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: