HAB-2 Launch Update – Wednesday

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums Youth Forum HAB-2 Launch Update – Wednesday

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Fred Kemmerer Fred Kemmerer 6 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #27361
    Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

    Here’s the latest projection for HAB-2’s flight path as of the end of the day today. We are still concerned about the strong easterly flow of the jetstream coupling with potential model errors putting us in the ocean. We have permission for both launch sites (Winchester NH, and Bennington VT) and we are still holding the VT site as a backup. The plan is to have the project team meet tomorrow evening to finalize plans for our launch on Sunday.

    Jamey, KC1ENX and I tested the HAB APRS and GPS radios and found everything to be flight ready today. We will be using APRS capable hand-held transceivers to recover the HAB this time which should make locating the HAB easier. We tested that system today as well and it works well.

    We are also considering adding more Helium to the flight package to increase lift in an attempt to shorten the flight. We will lose some altitude if we do this but it might be a means to improve our margin for avoiding an ocean landing.

    We are still GO for launch on Sunday, October 22nd at 11 am ET. Stay tuned for an update tomorrow evening after the project team meets.

    If you are interested in joining us for the launch, please contact Anita, AB1QB at [email protected].

    - Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

    ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

    Attachments:
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: