Grounds

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Patrick Morrison 11 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Patrick Morrison
    Participant

Ive been walking a tight wire towards a slippery slope for a while. I live on the 5th floor of Clocktower and am running my little Baufong on a mag mount out the window. BUT i have no ground. Disconnecting the antenna lead has been my solution up to now. BUT (lot of them) I have added a Yeasu 817 to my shack and dont want to take any chances.

My question is, has anyone used the ground of the electrical system as their system ground? If the system is wired properly, the ground wire (the bare one in the junction box)  should be a complete unbroken path to the mechanical ground for the entire building.

Has anyone used this type of grounding?

Patrick

Patrick, KC1HDN

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Hi Patrick,

Using the electrical system as a ground is generally not a good idea for a couple of reasons. First, if you antennas should take a lightening hit, its doubtful that the electrical grounds could handle the resulting charge. Also, the electrical system is generally not a good RF ground either because the wiring in the building as a long path to the real ground. Best is to always disconnect your antennas when the station is not is use. If you need an RF ground, a water pipe might be a better choice but this might still have some problems.

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Aron Insinga
    Aron Insinga
    Participant

I have not yet seen a copy of this new book, so FYI FWIW:

http://www.arrl.org/shop/Grounding-and-Bonding-for-the-Radio-Amateur/

- Aron, W1AKI

Mike Hopkins
    Participant

Patrick —

Are you concerned about the antenna performance or lightning protection?

I have numerous antennas, wire and otherwise, and I disconnect them all if there is any threat of lightning.

For the Yeasu 817 — I’m assuming you have an external power supply for power, which is likely grounded via the ac line (assuming it has a 3-prong ac power plug). Also, the low side of the 12v line to the Yeasu is very likely connected to the Yeasu chassis, so by default, your probably already grounded via the ac mains. However, that won’t protect you from lightning.

Best bet is keep the radio/powersupply grounded via the ac mains and disconnect the antenna in the face of eminent lightning. I think you’ll find many hams that disconnect their antennas during thunder storms….

Best,   Mike H. K1VLB

Mike, K1VLB

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

The book that Aron suggests is a good one. I’ve seen it and there is a lot of good information that is easy to understand and use.

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Patrick Morrison
    Participant

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I think the disconnecting is the way to go here.
    Patrick

Patrick, KC1HDN

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: