Great DX On The Air

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Jamey Finchum Jamey Finchum 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anita Kemmerer
    Anita Kemmerer
    Keymaster

I just worked 5U5R from Niger, which was an ATNO for me. Check out the article I just posted about the DXpeditions that are on the air right now and the DXpedition calendar at DX-World.net.

What DX have you worked recently?

- Anita (AB1QB)
    Activities Chairperson, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1qb@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Attachments:

Jim Lajoie
    Participant

Nice contact .I got MI5AFK Northern Ireland on 20 M  on my way home from work on Friday .   not my first QSO with Ireland  but I was pretty stoked to make it mobile with a 5/7 at this point in the sun spot cycle.

73’s.

Jim  K1BRM

Jim Lajoie K1BRM

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Made a pretty cool DX contact while out with Dave, K1DLM looking at potential Field Day sites. I was able to work TU7C, the Ivory Coast DXpedition from our mobile HF station. QSO was on 20m SSB operating split. An ATNO from the mobile for me.

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net

Attachments:
    Jamey Finchum
    Jamey Finchum
    Participant

I had a great experience yesterday on my way to work. I heard a Bulgarian station (LZ303MA) and tried to make contact while mobile with my 20 meter hamstick and a lot of QSB. He called out to me and couldn’t get my full call after several attempts and told me to try a little later as he moved on to more calls. I kept listening and 10 minutes later I heard him make contact with another 1 station and then call “the Kilo Charlie 1 Echo station try now.” I called back to him and he got my call!

I’m new to ham radio, but this struck me as being very kind and very experienced to keep my call in mind and call out to me when he thought he could get my call sign. I love working mobile on my way to work – I don’t usually make more than 1-3 DX contacts, but it’s great fun trying! I also really love ham radio and it’s operators like this that keeps that great feeling going!

Jamey (AC1DC)

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

FB Jamey and Jim! – DX contacts from a mobile are always memorable. Its amazing what is possible with a short antenna in a mobile setup.

I was able to work TU7C again on my way to scope our our GOTA site at Nashua PAL. Actually managed to work them split while driving. Got through 10 up just as I was cross Rt 3 going from Hollis to Nashua. The op was surprised to hear a mobile and picked me right up. Also worked an FG5 on my way back on 40m.

Lots of fun working DX mobile. Sure hope the ARRL gets it together and executes on their promise to issue DXCC’s with a mobile endorsement. Would really like to be #1 DXCC/m.

– Fred, AB1OC/M

- Fred (AB1OC)

ab1oc@arrl.net

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Jim, Jamey – just had a thought here. What is the most memorable mobile contact that you’ve ever made and what made it memorable? I will share mine if you guys share yours!

- Fred (AB1OC)

ab1oc@arrl.net

Jamey Finchum
    Jamey Finchum
    Participant

If Acadia National Park counts as mobile that would be it. Although, I will remember the Bulgarian contact for quite awhile as I was very impressed that he came back to me. I probably would have just moved on and not have remembered the station I couldn’t hear earlier.

Your turn!

Jamey (AC1DC)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: