Getting Started Sending CW

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums CW and QRP Forum Getting Started Sending CW

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Mike Ryan Mike Ryan 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mike Ryan
    Mike Ryan
    Participant

Getting Started – Sending Morse Code
    Let’s assume your satisfied with your CW key: mechanical alignment; contact spacing; spring force, etc. If you are unsure about how to do this, you may be better off to try and live with the Factory Settings. Take great care not to take it apart and loose components or be unable to reassemble the key. Many of the small parts are non-standard screws, bushings, washers, springs, nuts,and spacers that are very easy to loose in a cluttered workspace or carpet.
    Be careful if you adjust these items: may keys employ some form of JAM NUT or SETSCREW to prevent mechanical adjustment screws from accidentally moving (or walking). Look for these types of locking mechanisms, and loosen slightly before making any attempt to adjust contact spacing, etc…
    Once your satisfied with the adjustment – retighten the locking mechanism using only MINIMAL force , so that you can avoid permanently damage to the adjustment mechanism.
    SENDING EXERCISE
    1) Think of a short sentence to try, EX: “my name is mike”

2) Spell the words out loud with appropriate space, EX: “m y >>> n a m e >>> I s >>> m I k e >>>”

3) Repeat the spelling exercise a couple of times.

4) Now, spell it again but this time with a twist: Think the letter and vocalize it’s unique Morse Rhythm.

Example: “ (m) dah dah > (y) dah di dah dah >>> (n) dah dit > (a) di dah > (m) dah dah > (e) dit”

5) Repeat this vocalization exercise a couple of times.

6) Now try it again, but this time think the letter and use your key to send the unique Morse Rhythm. Think the letter and send the Rhythm. Think the letter and send the Rhythm.

This process should become more natural in a short time.
    Hope this was helpful.
    73 Mike

- Mike (K1WVO)
    Nashua Area Radio Club

k1wvo@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Mike Ryan
    Mike Ryan
    Participant

One step I forgot to add:

1) when you know what you want to send, just spell it out directly in Morse and avoid even thinking about what the letter your sending will be… you’ll instantly know what it is immediately after you have sent it.

The reality, your just spelling your words out using an alternate alphabet of Morse Rhythm characters. Sort of like using a different set of FONTS on your computer but still using the same keyboard keys to enter the text.

Hope my explanation makes some sense to you. Be at one with the Morse Code Rhythms.

Mike 🙂

- Mike (K1WVO)
    Nashua Area Radio Club

k1wvo@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: