Fox Hunt Spoiler – Hints Included!

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums General Information Forum Fox Hunt Spoiler – Hints Included!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Jamey Finchum Jamey Finchum 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jamey Finchum
    Jamey Finchum
    Participant

DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER if you don’t want any spoilers for the fox hunt…

I think posting some hints might be a good idea for some of us that aren’t very experienced with fox hunting. If you are experienced and you don’t want any help, again, don’t read any further.

First the details. The foxes will be put out early Saturday morning and will be transmitting on a frequency of 146.565 MHz for the fox with the stronger signal. You will be able to hear this fox from quite a distance from it’s location. There will be a second fox putting out a weaker signal on a frequency of 146.535 MHz. You won’t be able to hear this fox from as far away.

Some techniques I’ve used that help me “home” in on the fox is to listen to the third harmonic which will be a much weaker signal. This method makes it easier to find which direction the fox signal is coming from when you are getting close. The third harmonic for the 146.565 MHz fox is 439.695 MHz and the third harmonic for the 146.535 MHz fox is 439.605 MHz. Another technique you might want to try is to tune off frequency a little to weaken the signal as you get close to the fox.

The foxes will be in this general area:

The actual foxes look like this:

The foxes will be hidden very close to a trail. You will not need to go more than a few feet off the trail to find the foxes. The foxes will be well hidden, but in a fairly obvious hiding place – if you’re out looking for something that’s hidden, that is.

If you have any questions. Please post here. I will be monitoring throughout the day.

Happy hunting!

Jamey (AC1DC)

Attachments:
    Ari B. Cole
    Ari B. Cole
    Participant

Hi Jamey,

My wife & I found the small fox by tuning off frequency.

Ari – WB1ABC

Jamey Finchum
    Jamey Finchum
    Participant

Congratulations, Ari! The big fox was almost in a straight line from the small one.  Up towards the canal. The big fox can be harder to find because the signal can be overwhelming and seems like it’s coming from everywhere.

Hope you and your wife had a great time!

Jamey (AC1DC)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: