ARISS and Satellites

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Fred Kemmerer Fred Kemmerer 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Curtis Dude

I was talking to a fellow HAM (M0RIF) a few days ago (April 13th) about some SSTV images he had received from ARISS (Amateur Radio on the International Space Station). I showed some interest and much to my surprise I had everything I needed to receive these as well. I was mistaken in thinking I would need a directional antenna, but he actually recommended an omnidirectional for this.

-VHF Radio
    -SignaLink USB
    -Tablet PC running SSTV software.

I hooked all this up in my car. I had to rush because the next pass overhead was coming fast. Well in the end it was a success! Attached here should be the end result of what I received.

I also recorded a crude video of my experience which can be seen at this link…

This whole experience got me hooked on a new aspect of the hobby for me. Like a good HAM I went to the candy store and bought a new dual band radio for the shack to be dedicated to ISS and satellite transmissions. As I am typing this I am successfully receiving my first weather image from one of NOAA’s satellites. So exciting! The weather image finished coming in. Not a good image in the end, but maybe next time. Here is what it looks like…

I also hear PACKET from the ISS, so that’s my next thing to tackle with this. I will update as I learn.

[email protected]

Dave Michaels
    Dave Michaels

FB.  VERY COOL! Congratulations.  And the JT contacts you have logged

on your QRZ page look impressive.

Dave N1RF

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer

Hi Curtis,

Very cool! Thanks for posting this! You might also write an article on our Blog. You can get started via this link. You can upload your pictures directly to our site as part of the article and then embed your youTube video in your post. If you can do this in the next week or so, we’d like to include your article in our April newsletter as well.

Would you be interested in operating a satellite station as part of our Field Day operation in June? Several of us have 2m/70cm handheld satellite antennas that you could use for this. It looks like you already have a radio that would work and maybe you have the antenna as well. Let me know if you’d be interested in doing this.

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society
    Visit us on the web at -

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: