An Amazing Mobile Contact!

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums On The Air Forum An Amazing Mobile Contact!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Jamey Finchum Jamey Finchum 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jamey Finchum
    Jamey Finchum
    Participant

I was driving home tonight tuning around on 20 meters a little after 10:00 pm. I worked a station (KA0BOJ) in Nebraska at the Branched Oak Observatory and we exchanged 59 reports with both of us working on 100 watts. He had a very strong and clear signal. Hopefully, this was a sign for some good band conditions and DX! We said 73 and I tuned around some more to see what the ride home had in store for me.

I heard a station calling CQ, but it wasn’t very strong. I finally heard the callsign, RO9O – a Russian station. Then I heard him give his QTH as Siberia (Asiatic Russia)! I don’t have any stations logged from Asia from home and definitely not in the mobile.

I started throwing my call out with no luck, but kept trying just for the fun of it. Just when I was thinking there was no hope, I heard him come back, “the alpha charlie mobile station.” I called back and had to repeat my call several times. He came back to me with, “alpha charlie one alpha charlie.” I was starting to sweat – hoping I wouldn’t get covered up by the bigger stations and entered into the log incorrectly. I called back, panicked, “negative, negative on the call! Alpha charlie one delta charlie!” He heard me! He came back, “alpha charlie one delta charlie, roger? AC/DC!! Nice call!” I’ve got him in the log and will send out a QSL card in the morning!

The approximate distance is about 5,500 miles on 100 watts. Not bad for my little mobile station!

Jamey (AC1DC)

Attachments:
    Michael Lospennato
    Michael Lospennato
    Participant

Awesome!

73, Mike, W1LOC

Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Great contact Jamey – super DX from your mobile!

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Tom Mahon
    Participant

Great job, Jamey. Luck has sometimes been defined as “where preparation meets opportunity”. Especially when the gods smile.

Craig Tarbox
    Craig Tarbox
    Participant

Great Post!

My adrenaline went up just reading about the contacts you made and your reaction to each.

Craig
    (AC1BK)

Curtis Dude
    Curtis Dude
    Participant

Jamie, this truly is an amazing mobile contact you described. Great catch. I too noticed a nice opening into Asiatic Russia, but I was working them digital.

The one station I worked had a very strong signal and the thought of jumping over to Upper Side Band to see if there were any good DX did cross my mind. Unfortunately for me I decided to stay on the digital portion of the band.

What antenna were you using?

Attachments:
    Jamey Finchum
    Jamey Finchum
    Participant

Curtis,

I was on my ICOM 7100 at 100 watts running through my Little TarHeel II antenna. I really enjoy that antenna. It gets 6 – 80 m and I’m still always amazed, even in this poor solar cycle, of the DX that I can get.

Jamey (AC1DC)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: