Mine Falls Park
Nashua,NH03060United States 603-589-3400, ext. 5005 http://www.nashuanh.gov/491/Mine-Falls-Park
Mine Falls Park is a 325-acre (132 ha) park in the city of Nashua, New Hampshire.
Mine Falls Park Name Background
The name “Mine Falls” derives from the 1700s, when low quality lead was supposedly mined from the island below the falls. In the early 1800s the potential of the Nashua River to drive the wheels of industry was recognized. Workers used shovels and mules to dig the three-mile long canal, which provides a vertical drop of 36 feet at the mills.
Mine Falls Park Gatehouse
The Gatehouse near the falls was built in 1886 – with the first gates being built in 1826 – and it still brings the river to the Millpond. Currently, the gatehouse is the focus of a middle school student led restoration project. The hydroelectric plant near the falls was built in 1984.
Historic District & Heritage Trail System
In 1987 the Nashua River Canal and the Nashua Manufacturing Company Historic District (the Millyard) were placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1992 the park trails were designated part of the New Hampshire Heritage Trail system, which extends 130 miles along the Merrimack River from Massachusetts to Canada.Follow or Contact Us: