I want the MUF and I want it now!

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums On The Air Forum I want the MUF and I want it now!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Layne AE1N Layne AE1N 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Layne AE1N
    Layne AE1N
    Participant

I want the MUF and I want it now!
    What is the MUF anyway?
    In radio transmission maximum usable frequency (MUF) is the highest radio frequency that can be used for transmission between two points via reflection from the ionosphere (skywave or “skip” propagation) at a specified time, independent of transmitter power.
    If you are using low power and want to maximize your signals at distance with the highest efficiency; then you want to choose a band as close to the MUF as possible.

Our homepage banner shows “MUF US BOULDER xx.xx”. But this measurement is located in Boulder Colorado, several time zones behind us and not much use…

Few New Englanders know this but there is a MUF sounding station located at Millstone Hill, MA. Millstone Hill Observatory is a Massachusetts Institute of Technology atmospheric sciences research center in Westford, Massachusetts. It is part of Haystack Observatory, which focuses primarily on radio astronomy. Millstone Hill is the location for two of the most well-known incoherent scatter radars in the world.

These soundings are made at 5-minute intervals!

As I write this, the MUF is 17.81 Mhz … gosh, I didn’t know 17 meters was still open; hope somebody hears my CQ!

Layne AE1N

Attachments:

Jim Lajoie
    Participant

That’s a great resource Layne I have an app on my phone but it’s a predictor so the information is not nearly as useful.

Jim Lajoie K1BRM

Layne AE1N
    Layne AE1N
    Participant

I haven’t figured out the exact way they measure it or determine the compass direction for the MUF. One of our board members who works there may be able to arrange a tour of the facility this summer, so QRX!

Layne AE1N

Layne AE1N
    Layne AE1N
    Participant

AN EVEN BETTER SITE!

I found an even better site. It gives you:

1. Real-Time Maximum NVIS Frequency

2. Real-Time Optimum Work Frequency

3. Real-Time Max. Usable Frequency</small>

4. Extraordinary Incident Max Frequency

5. Real-Time Effective Sunspot Number

All centered on Millstone MA, and a host of other interesting solar data.

Check it out at:

http://hamwaves.com/propagation/en/index.html

Layne AE1N

Attachments:
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: