Help, my S-meter only goes to 60dB/S9

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums On The Air Forum Help, my S-meter only goes to 60dB/S9

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Fred Kemmerer Fred Kemmerer 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Layne AE1N
    Layne AE1N
    Participant

We know that 30-meters is limited to 200 watts PEP. So when I tuned across W4TJE calling CQ at 40 db over S-9, I naturally thought he was a new ham in the neighborhood. We had great QSO. The secret is his antenna duo-band yagi design with 3 Elements on 30m (and four on 40m)! I commended him for not letting the low sunspot cycle dissuade him from good operating.

He has a very interesting QRZ page: 

https://www.qrz.com/db/W4TJE

I particularly like his list of articles which I quote here:

“I have been fortunate over the years to have had a few articles published in ham radio magazines. Unfortunately, most of my articles have been rejected. Read the list below and maybe you will see why they were rejected. I hope you will see the humor in it. #’1 and #2 were rejected because the articles were too short to be published.

1 “Ethical Contesting”

2 “Friends I Have Made in Pile-Ups”

3 “My Antenna is Bigger Than Yours”, A Freudian Study as to Why Some Hams Feel the Need to Brag about their Antenna Size (credit to K2XX)

4 “How Are You Tonight My Friend?” ,The Wit and Wisdom of the 75m DX Window

5 “Eye Candy”, A Voyeur’s Guide to Field Day

6 “We Were Here First!”, Social Interactions on 75m

7 “Up, Up, Up You Lid!!”, The Fascinating Life Stories of the DX Cops, the Real Heroes of the Ham Bands

8 “It’s Time for my Pills”, A User’s Guide to 40m Phone Nets

9 “Radio Face”, A Pictorial Profile of Hams

10 “Where’s My XYL?”, A Statistical Analysis of Divorce Rates Among Contestors

11 “Hamfests, The Real Key To Our Nation’s Economic Recovery”

12 “Where Did Everybody Go?” One Ham’s Solitary Quest to Revive the Novice Subbands

13 “Top Band QRP, and Other Useless, Non-Productive Projects”

14 “I’m Sorry I Screamed/Contesting with Kidney Stones, A Volatile Combination” ( credit to KJ6GLX, obviously one very dedicated ham)

15 My personal favorite, “Get Out of My Shack!!”, What to do When Your Elmer Turns Abusive

My next project is a murder-mystery/supsense novel. It’s about an amateur radio operator who is a deranged serial killer.He decides to eliminate any other operator who beats him out in a pile-up. The novel will be entitled, (are you ready for it??) “SILENCE OF THE HAMS”.

73 de Jack W4TJE

Maybe we can persuade Jack to write the full article for one of the above topics for our newsletter.              —LAYNE AE1N

Layne AE1N

Attachments:
    Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

Too bad we can’t do 30 meters at Field Day. We’d have to get one of these if we could ….

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: