Field Day: Distinguished Visitor and Club Member

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums Field Day Forum Field Day: Distinguished Visitor and Club Member

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Ed Deichler Ed Deichler 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Fred Kemmerer
    Fred Kemmerer
    Keymaster

I heard from Jim Belanger, N1NH who is an honorary member of our club today. Jim is a NH State Representative and a HAM. It looks like Jim will be able to visit us during our 2016 Field Day operation. I’m including the messages from Jim below – looks like he’s had some pretty interesting Field Day experiences in the past –

—-

Fred

When we did Field Day from the Pak, all the antennas were tied to my truck so I could not move it.

Fortunately, I had a mini bike in the truck bed so I used that to go from the Pak to Nashua in the night.

America’s funniest videos might have wanted that footage.

Anyway, I drove to Nashua in the dark, confirmed my wife and new baby Jayne were fine and drove that stupid little motorbike back to the Pak to finish field day.

My wife, believe it or not, never held it against me as she knew how much field day and ham radio meant to me.

Ironically, I was in the US Navy for 8 years (and out at sea for months at a time) and was present for three of my children being born but missed the last one because I was on Field Day.

I would be happy to stop by on Field Day and operate any CW station.  Don’t give me a microphone though!!!  They scare me.
    Jim Belanger
    NH State Representative

Hollis, NH

—-

Hi Jim,

Wow, that is a great Field Day story!

Thank you so much for being willing to spend some of your time to visit us during Field Day. If you could mark your calendar for June 25/26, we’ll get back with you when the time gets closer and we have some idea what the weather will be like. If you’d like, we’d really enjoy the opportunity to have you make a few contacts from our station during the Field Day operation. We can think about that some more when the time gets closer.

It will be great to meet you in person and thanks again for your continued interest in our club. It really means a lot to us.

Best and 73,

Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua ARC

—-

Thanks for everything Fred.  I mIss field day and operating the 80 meter CW station.  I’ll certainly visit and help out any way I can. We were on Pak Monadnock mountain operating FD when my wife went to the hospital and had my last daughter.  We got credit for an emergency message.  I went to Nashua and saw her and went back to finish field day. That was 47 years ago.

Jim Belanger
    NH State Representative

Hollis, NH

- Fred (AB1OC)
    President, Nashua Area Radio Society

ab1oc@arrl.net
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Ed Deichler
    Ed Deichler
    Participant

Glad to hear Jim is making an appearance again at a NARC Field Day! When I started Field Day with the club in 1985, we operated N1NH from the field behind Jim’s business in Hollis. That was a great spot to accommodate our growing club effort.

I took over as FDIC a couple years later. I can relate to Jim’s story about missing his daughter’s birth but in a reverse situation. I had to leave one year on a very rainy Saturday to catch a plane to London on business. The following year, my sister was getting married (again) and my dad refused to fly to Houston to give her away (smart man), so guess what weekend she got married?

73 de Ed, K2TE

- Ed (K2TE)
    President Emeritus, Nashua Area Radio Club

k2te@juno.com
    Visit us on the web at - https://www.n1fd.org

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: