Extra-low cost 3el Yagi

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Layne AE1N Layne AE1N 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Layne AE1N
    Layne AE1N
    Participant

Extra-low cost 3el Yagi

comment 1: I cringed a bit seeing that, but amateur radio is all about experimenting and having fun with the hobby – and you’re definitely having some! Regarding technical aspect I’m kind of afraid that your yagi may be not really close to 50 Ohms and not working better than a random piece of wire… But still better than a chinese ducky antenna :-)b ave fun and get some RG-58 (or RG-174)!

comment 2: I did a 20m yagi a number of years ago (bottom of the last sunspot cycle) based on the KJ5VW yagi, but constructed it using 3 elements(the original was a 2-element yagi)…it worked very well. The yagi itself is made of a wood dowel frame. 4 ea 3-foot 1″ diameter wood dowels are joined with PVC sections, and the PVC is used as a coil. 12 3-foot sections total. Wire is then taped to the dowel frame, connecting the coils at each end. I fed it with RG-58 and used a balun. Put it up with a painter’s pole at 12 feet on a TV tripod and guyed it. Worked marvelously until wind took it down -this was at 9600ft above MSL in Colorado, where we regularly got 50mph sustained winds.

comment 3: How’s it work? Signal reports have been pretty good, seems to preform better than a Nagoya NA-771. Portability is an issue, since I have to jury rig the wires directly onto the antenna socket on the transceiver.Can’t give you any hard numbers on it. If I was the kind of guy who could afford proper testing equipment, I’d also be the kind of guy who could afford a proper antenna in the first place.

comment 4: helpful point here – one should use vines to lash the thing together instead of tape – would have kept it much more Gilligans island that way

Layne AE1N

Attachments:
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: