Reply To: Counterpoise and RF Grounding a mobile antenna

Nashua Area Radio Society Topics In All Forums Elmering Forum Counterpoise and RF Grounding a mobile antenna Reply To: Counterpoise and RF Grounding a mobile antenna

Tom Mahon
Participant

Jay,
I have an MFJ-259 you are welcome to borrow. I can vouch for the advice of the other replies. I have an MFJ screwdriver antenna that I have used portable with 8 radials off a DX Engineering radial plate. I cut mine for a little over 22″ and was hitting central Europe with my Kenwood TS-140s and 100 watts when I used it on the Cape. Sea water was a great help, I’m sure. I also have 20 radials installed in my yard for an LDG s9 31 foot collapsible antenna. 4 of the radials are the suggested 28’10” the others are around 22’8″. Used another DX engineering radial plate. I used the calculations for the shorter ones from one of the articles attached to an earlier reply. Had good results with the set up. As has been stated, it’s a matter of try this, then that until you get either frustrated or good results. For me this is the “fun” (i.e, satisfaction) in amateur radio.

Tom
AB1NS

Radio Amateurs Developing Skills and Having Fun